If you’re in a car accident, you may be overwhelmed by the experience. It can be traumatic, especially if injuries and significant vehicle damage are involved. However, if you want to ensure that you’ll have enough financial compensation to pay for your property damage, medical expenses, and lost wages, there are some steps you’ll need to take. Are you concerned that if you ever get into an accident, you won’t remember the right things to do? Commit this list of dos and don’ts to memory so you won’t make any mistakes that could result in your being held liable.
- Do call 911.
- Don’t leave the scene of the accident!
- Do seek medical care as soon as possible.
- Don’t move any accident victims!
- Do gather contact and insurance information from the drivers involved.
- Don’t admit fault!
- Do collect witness names and phone numbers.
- Don’t discuss the accident or allow yourself to be recorded, except by the police!
- Do take photographs at the scene if you can.
- Don’t leave personal property in your car if it needs to be towed!
- Do get a case number or a copy of the police report.
- Don’t sign anything other than the police report!
It might be helpful to write this list down or print it out because remembering these steps will significantly help your case if the accident results in a lawsuit. Another important factor in getting through this terrible experience is having the right attorney at your side. You may have suffered a serious injury as a result of your accident, or the other party may be claiming that you are at fault in the collision. Either way, when you have an experienced and knowledgeable attorney to guide you through the legal process, you’ll be more likely to have a favorable outcome. A good lawyer can protect your rights and best interests, and help you recover any monetary damages owed to you.
Since 1990, the Law Firm of Kevin Paul Childers has been committed to providing the legal guidance you need, we pay close attention to each case, giving one-on-one treatment to each of our clients because every case is unique. Our lawyers are among the best in Virginia, and we’ll put our more than 100 years of collective experience to work for you. We work hard to achieve the best possible results for every client we represent, so contact us for a free case analysis or call (703) 636-2182 today.