Skip to Content
chevron-left chevron-right chevron-up chevron-right chevron-left arrow-back star phone quote checkbox-checked search wrench info shield play connection mobile coin-dollar spoon-knife ticket pushpin location gift fire feed bubbles home heart calendar price-tag credit-card clock envelop facebook instagram twitter youtube pinterest yelp google reddit linkedin envelope bbb pinterest homeadvisor angies

close-up of lawyer going over papers

Virginia is one of a dozen or more states that utilize a “no-fault” system when it comes to financial responsibility for injuries and damages caused by a car accident. In a no-fault car insurance state, a driver receives compensation for injuries from his or her own insurance policy up to the personal injury protection (PIP) limit, regardless of who was at fault for the accident. Here is a closer look at Virginia’s no-fault car insurance laws, and how these laws affect your ability to sue for additional damages.

“Add-On” No-Fault State

Although Virginia is not a “true” no-fault state, it does have a variation of no-fault insurance in which insurers pay first-party claims. The insurance industry refers to Virginia and similar states as “add-on” no-fault states. A driver can pay extra to add PIP protection to his or her policy. In case of injury, a driver with PIP protection will get paid no matter who was at fault for the accident.

Auto Insurance Requirements

Vehicle owners in Virginia are not required to purchase car insurance, so long as they pay the $500 uninsured motor vehicle fee to the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. For all other vehicles, Virginia requires $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury if more than one person is hurt, and $20,000 per accident for property damage. If you decide to purchase PIP coverage, uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage can help “fill the gap” to cover the costs of your injuries.

Suing for Additional Damages

Because Virginia is not a “true” no-fault state, drivers can sue to get money for injuries, damages, and pain and suffering. If you have been injured in a car accident and are struggling to pay medical bills, contact the Auto Accident Law Firm of Kevin Paul Childers. Our auto accident attorneys can help you sue for additional damages, especially if you have been dealing with pain and suffering as a result of the accident. Call our law firm at (703) 330-6300 to schedule your initial consultation.